Friday 17 January 2014

Weekly Links 2º BACH —48

This week essay: "Drinking alcohol may be the cause of many problems. Why?" 
In this video, Matt Damon introduces some people who tell us their true stories.

Transcript:
Matt Damon: Hi I'm Matt Damon. I know that sometimes it seems like everyone drinks alcohol, in movies, on TV, at parties, even at school. And there are a lot of different reasons people drink. I'm going to introduce you to four young people -- Robert, Dana, Megan and Ilton, who'll tell you the truth about how alcohol's affected their lives. One summer night after drinking a few beers Robert headed to a party in his dad's car. He says he'd had just enough beer to feel good...

Robert: It was one of those nights you know when you're on top of the world, nothing can happen to you, you don't care. Uh, You know, uh, I thought that I was bulletproof, I felt I was unstoppable. I certainly wish that I hadn't done it but I need to accept that, I need to move on, I need to feel normal.

Dana: You're watching everybody else drink and you're just trying so hard not to drink. One day when I'm older and I'm successful and I have all the things that I feel as though I need and want, I just know that I'll look back and say well I stood my ground and I respected myself. I would tell other kids, you just got to have that strength and just to not do what everybody else is doing... just because everybody else is doing it.

Megan: Alcohol was a way that I used to impress people.

Matt Damon: Then one night something horrible happened. Megan got drunk at a party and a guy she'd never met before offered to help.

Megan: The next day I was sent to a counselor. Basically I was an alcoholic is what she said.

Ilton: I don't drink alcohol and I don't need it because I feel like it's a magnet you know you either get into a fight, you're stabbed shot or arrested, anything can happen. You end up doing things that you don't like doing or you end up regretting something that you, that can affect your whole life.

Matt Damon: I hope you'll think about what they've had to say. And be honest with yourself. Ask yourself a couple questions. Am I risking hurting somebody I love? Am I risking hurting myself?

Have a nice weekend.

No comments :

up